It's been almost 10 weeks since Ryan began wearing the DOC Band. I had hoped to update you on how the process has been going, but truthfully, the whole thing has been...uneventful.
And I couldn't be happier about it.
Like other parents of plagiocephaly babies, Paul and I were nervous about starting the DOC Band treatment.
Would Ryan hate it?
Will he be uncomfortable?
How will it affect him?
Would people stare or laugh at my baby?
How will we pay for it?
What if it doesn't work?
And now, after 10 weeks, we have those answers...
Would Ryan hate it?
Not at all. He barely noticed it during the first fitting. They put it on, and he continued to play with the toys in the room. He fell asleep in the car on the way home. It didn't seem to bother him in the least bit. I was actually disappointed that he didn't at least have a "Whoa! What the heck is this?" look on his face when he got it. He just went along with all of it. Of course, if you know Ryan, that's his personality. Laid back, flexible, and good-natured.
The first night in it, he slept pretty well. The next day, I stayed home with him to regularly check his head for any red marks. He had a few that bothered me, so we drove back to the clinic to get it adjusted. Again, he was easy-going about the whole thing (I, on the other hand, had a horrible day as in the middle of all of this, I broke a tooth. Ryan and I had to make an emergency visit to a dentist, where Ryan charmed the entire office staff by giggling and playing games with them while they passed him around and I got X-Rays.) Anyway, once the band was adjusted, it seemed to be better. The second night and fourth night were rough, and Ryan was up most of the night, but I truly think it had more to do with the fact that he had a cold during this time, too. When we were at the dentist that week, the dentist looked at him and said he had some teeth ready to come out, so we also thought that played a factor. Though 10 weeks later, we have yet to actually see a tooth, so who knows? Since then, sleeping hasn't been an issue at all.
Will he be uncomfortable?
I've never noticed any real discomfort. In the first few days, and a few times since, he has tugged at the helmet for a few minutes, but nothing too bad. I think it gets warm and sweaty sometimes, and he reaches a point where he gets a little annoyed with it, but it doesn't last. If you have ever had a cast or a brace, you know the feeling - everything is fine, and then suddenly you get an itch and it drives you crazy because you can't reach it, but then that feeling goes away and all is good again Same thing with Ryan's band.
How will it affect him?
I don't know if the band helped this, or if it was just his age, but in the first 3 weeks of wearing the band, he finally rolled from back to tummy for the first time, began sleeping on his side and eventually his tummy, and pulled himself up to standing in his crib. Shortly after, he started scooting and then crawling, and just this week, the little daredevil has learned to stand up and let go, balancing for a few seconds at a time. Obviously, the band didn't do all of this, but I think that prior to the band, he physically couldn't roll from his back to tummy because of his flat spot. The band helped this, and the rolling over started a rapid chain of hitting developmental milestones. Also, because he is wearing a helmet, when he falls over while crawling or standing, it doesn't hurt as much, so he has no fear and will keep trying new things. And I don't hover around him as much because he does have the added protection on his head. Maybe every kid should wear some protection during the learning to crawl and walk stages! Definitely easier on the baby and parents. :) I think he is going to be an early walker. We'll see.
Would people stare or laugh at my baby?
I was very self-conscious taking him out in public in the band the first few times. Why wouldn't I be? Our society is very focused on appearances and being 'normal.' But I am very happy to say that Ryan has received even more positive attention now that he has the band. Yes, people stare, but then they ask questions. About 2 weeks after he started wearing it, Ryan and I went to lunch with my sister in law and 3 nieces. The couple next to us kept staring and I thought they were just irritated to be seated next to so many children. Part way through the meal, they asked me about the helmet. I realized that was why they were staring at us. I explained what it was far, and they were amazed. They had seen so many babies wearing them, but didn't know what it was for. They couldn't have been nicer. Since then, I've had a lot of that. I've had moms come up to me and tell me that their child wore one/wears one/is getting one. I've heard moms explaining the helmet to their curious children. No one has laughed. No one has said anything incredibly rude. I used Ryan as an example in my 7th grade science class, and the kids were fascinated by the helmet. I heard a lot of kids say they knew babies with helmets. Yesterday, I took Ryan to school to watch the volleyball game and supervise the school dance. Students were curious and stared, and one student, with he innocence of a child, and the mouthy bluntness of a 7th grader, asked, "Is his brain, like, normal?" The question didn't even bother me, and I used it as an opportunity to teach them about it.
How will we pay for it?
Fortunately, insurance came through and paid for a big portion of it. Without a big fight. We hope that if a second band is needed, they will continue to cover it.
What if it doesn't work?
It IS working. Paul and I see a noticeable difference. It isn't perfect, but it is getting rounder more normal-shaped. I will try to post some before and after pictures soon. Ryan will continue in this band for about 3-4 more weeks, and next week he will be measured for a possible second band. Originally, I dreaded the idea of him having to wear a second band, but it's been so easy thus far, and the time has flown, so if they think it will help him, we'll continue with the treatment. We will let you know what the next step will be.
Thank you for taking the time to read Ryan's DOC band story! We appreciate all of your support!
With a Mom like you, Ryan is set for life!
ReplyDelete